Google welcomes people with disabilities.
- Associate's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of experience working with and troubleshooting server hardware and network-related issues using Linux based tools.
- LPIC or equivalent experience working with Linux (Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo) or Unix (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, BSD).
- Experience leading project teams on larger installations and developing project contingency plans.
- Understanding of intermediate OS, PC hardware and networking concepts, tools, and protocols.
- Ability to manage manual movement and installation of racks, and work with infrastructure.
- Ability to lift/move equipment up to 25kg as required.
About the job
Google isn't just a software company. The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As an Operations Technician, you'll install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google's Linux cluster). You'll also take on the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. You'll participate in or lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans. A typical day involves manual movement and installation of racks, and while it can sometimes be physically demanding, you are excited to work with infrastructure that is at the cutting-edge of computer technology.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Contribute to and lead efforts/projects in the deployment, maintenance, and support of current and new data center infrastructure.
- Lead complex troubleshooting, and resolve critical or escalated technical issues regarding affected equipment.
- Test and troubleshoot server hardware components and designs.
- Configure and troubleshoot Linux OS-related issues on our servers.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy
and EEO is the Law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form