• Provide software support for internally developed products that interact
with all database systems.
• To implement, design and improve processes relating to the administration of databases to ensure that they function correctly, perform optimally, preserve data and maintain a high level of availability.
• This role operates in the IT environment and has a strong client focus.
Changes in the role occur with changes in client, organizational and legislative requirements.
• Sets and maintains operational database standards on an ongoing basis.
• Enforces and improves database integrity and performance through the use of sound design principles and set down database design standards.
• Designs and enforces data security policies to eliminate unauthorized access to data on managed data systems in accordance with IT Services technical specifications and business requirements.
• Ensures that effective data redundancy; archiving, backup and recovery mechanisms are in place to prevent the loss of data.
• Sets up configurable pre-established jobs to automatically run on a daily basis, to monitor and maintain the operational databases.
• To keep abreast of technical developments of operational importance and to participate in developing or setting standards as directed
• Assisting development teams with effective schema design to achieve optimum performance
• Completes all project work and allocated tasks on time as per agreed schedule and communicates progress with all parties concerned.
• Takes on additional, unplanned projects as required by the business and works after hours where necessary.
• Completes technical documentation as required.
As a senior-level role, the following responsibilities will also be expected:
• Proactively pick up work without work necessarily being assigned by someone else and display the appropriate ownership of that work.
• Find and highlight areas of risk and concern to the business and ensure these are brought to the attention of management quickly.
• Contribute and drive forward the company strategy within the team.
• Establish priorities; assign/direct work of other staff/engineers; maintain quality control.
• When required, assist management in the staff recruitment process and performance appraisal process.
Support, Deployments and Projects
• Lead investigations (technical or non-technical, procedural, processes…); actively participate in solving on-going/live issues with priority on business-impacting ones.
• Apply advanced knowledge to the completion of complex assignments, displaying a high level of technical trouble shooting ability.
• Participate in project work, and if necessary, technically lead projects in a proactive and independent manner.
Mentoring and Training
• Provide technical guidance, supervision and direction in all relevant product areas and provide technical leadership in the development of day-to-day work.
• Provide training and document/knowledge sharing to the company when required.
• Provide a basic level of training, mentoring, and guidance to any/all engineers within the organization.
• Assist in answering queries and requests made by other engineers, as needed.
• Relevant Degree or Tertiary qualification. • Certification covering Microsoft SQL 2008 / 2012 / 2014. • 10 or more years IT experience. • 5 or more years of Database experience. Desired Skills • Solid IT knowledge • Sound Relational Database Theory understanding. • Basic report design and writing. • Extensive experience writing T-SQL and stored procedures and query tuning on high transaction systems. • Experienced in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) • Extensive experience with Microsoft SQL Replication, Mirroring & Log Shipping, Service Broker. • Experienced in Microsoft SQL Dynamic Management Views, Functions & Triggers. • Innovative approach to work, constantly looking for upgrading the system to more efficient and effective new technologies.