We rely on standard open source tools to operate our network and server infrastructure, which are spread across multiple data centers in Switzerland. We must continually expand our system and grow our Infrastructure team as we the number of users who rely on our services protect their privacy increases. Thus, we are looking for experienced Systems and Site Reliability Engineers to join our team.
As a member of one of Proton's Infrastructure teams, you will build, scale, and operate parts of our rapidly growing infrastructure. You should have a solid knowledge of Linux and network services. You should also enjoy building web-scale, distributed, and highly available systems while working in close collaboration with the rest of the team.
What You will do
- Develop software for automation and failure recovery
- Ensure high availability of production and pre-production systems
- Contribute to configuration and update management of Linux systems and services
- Improve monitoring for full stack, from hardware to application
- Implement system hardening, firewalling, IDS
- Make application code deployments
- Perform network protocol analysis for troubleshooting and incident response
- Cover periodic shifts to ensure our 24/7 operations
In addition to solid Linux skills, you should be familiar with:
- Code development and version control
- Configuration management and automation (Puppet, Ansible)
- Monitoring systems (Icinga2, Prometheus, Grafana, Sentry)
- Common TCP/IP protocols and services (DNS, TLS, SMTP, HTTP, etc.)
- Network switching and routing
- Server-class hardware (BMCs, hardware RAID controllers)
- Security best practices
Knowledge in the following areas is considered a plus:
- Programming languages (C/C++, Python, PHP, Bash)
- Code debugging and profiling
- Web protocols and service daemons (Apache, nginx)
- Mail protocols and service daemons (Postfix)
- Storage, filesystems and database systems (Ceph, MySQL)
Please send an email to [email protected] explaining why you think you are fit for this role, and please include your English resume as an attachment.
Our mission is to defend human rights and democracy through building software that is essential for digital freedom and privacy protection for all Internet users.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) by a team of researchers led by Taiwanese-American scientist Dr. Andy Yen. And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 26 million users. Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an Internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products such as ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and much more.
Proton users include leaders of the Hong Kong protest movement, New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens from over 180 countries. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, Vilnius, Skopje, San Francisco and now also Taipei. Proton Taiwan was established in November 2019 to be a major new engineering office. We expect to expand rapidly from 10 employees to 100 employees over the next several years. We are looking for passionate people to join our growing team and help us build a better Internet that defends democracy.