The swift needles; the children’s nightmare. Phlebotomists are not the fatal monster, however, but an often undervalued career that serves a crucial role in the medical procedure.
Common phlebotomist job descriptions cover:
- Work in hospitals, laboratories, nursing centers, medical offices, or other health-related facilities.
- Perform blood draws procedure to patients and donors.
- Gather, sanitize, and maintain medical testing tools, including sample vials, storage bags, tubes, and needles.
- Verify and update patient blood samples, information, and database.
Phlebotomists and their job are a critical essence of modern medicine; uncontaminated blood for either laboratory context or patient operations are the basis of medical science (whether clinical or diagnostic).
For one to become a phlebotomist, a robust phlebotomist resume will give the pearls. The following article will cover tips and tricks for writing a successful resume for a phlebotomist and even provide a sample resume at the very end. Keep in tune.
Which resume format is the best for a phlebotomist?
There are 4 major format works for phlebotomist resumes:
Commonly Asked Questions:
🔍 In which format should a phlebotomist resume be sent?
Please do remember to send the phlebotomist resume in PDF format. Any other format such as Microsoft Word, jpeg, pages, is deemed as unprofessional.
🔍 How to prepare a resume format for freshers or a resume for phlebotomists with no experience?
Several pieces of advice can help those struggling on an entry-level phlebotomist resume.
- Adopt the functional resume format to highlight existing skills.
- Use a career objective statement (a phlebotomist resume objective) to show dedication.
- Focus more on educational qualifications, research, laboratory, interns the candidate has been working on.
What to include in a phlebotomist resume
- 8 key sections
1. Resume Header
Profile for a phlebotomist resume, frankly to say, are the candidate’s personal details.
Fundamental personal details are not only necessary for contact information but also the first step to establish trust in one’s first introduction to the potential future employer.
Successful phlebotomist resume profile should include the following:
- Full name to be formal & show identity.
- Professional Title (similar to headline, could be interchangeable & replaced).
- Email Address & Phone Number for contact method.
- The address is optional thanks to the global internet. City, state, and country are sufficient.
2. Resume Headline
A phlebotomist resume headline won’t consist of much more than a synopsis of the candidate’s profile and achievement. It is also called the “professional title” and can be used interchangeably.
Attune the headline, however, to the candidate’s true self. Do not blindly copy and paste those from random phlebotomist resume templates.
Phlebotomist Resume Headline Examples:
- Certified phlebotomist resume:
ASCP Certified Phlebotomist Technologist with 5+ Years’ Experience in Clinical Laboratories
- Common phlebotomist duties resume (the safe option):
Phlebotomist with 2+ Years of Experience in Blood Collecting
3. Resume Summary
A phlebotomist resume summary is an extended version of the resume headline. Instead of serving as a “title” or “hashtag”, the resume summary serves like a bio that gives documentation of the candidate’s professional achievement.
Providing an adjective at the front of the resume summary can help establish a personal brand (which should be matched with a phlebotomist job description for resume!).
Phlebotomist Profile Summary Examples:
- Phlebotomist resume summary:
Certified Phlebotomy Technician with 2+ years experience. Performed 60+ venepuncture and blood sampling per week At YXY clinic.
- Entry-level phlebotomist summary for resume:
Patient-focused CPT with 5+ years experience. Maintained 98% documentation accuracy. Performed 1000+ injections, immunization, and patient intake.
👍 Tip: Candidates are encouraged to use fragmented sentences as long as the writing is comprehensible.
4. Resume Objective
Objective, objective. As its name suggested, a phlebotomist resume objective refers to the candidate’s career goal.
Not a requirement. If written successfully, however, can secure the interview & surely grab attention!
Broad or old-fashioned objective statements can indicate an applicant did not specialize in a specific field and is not compatible with modern industry.
Phlebotomist Resume Objective Example:
- Resume objective for phlebotomist with no experience: Detailed-oriented Meharry Medical College graduate adept in interpersonal communication. Volunteer at Macon CommunityHospital for 50+ hours as medical assistance. Seeking to deliver patient-care and skilled blood draws at ABC Facility.
Skills and abilities on a resume for a phlebotomist are crucial components. However, the mere listing would not give the pearls. Candidates have to obtain and offer phlebotomist resume skills useful for employers.
Required & Common Phlebotomy Skills (pick the one that applies!)
- Interpersonal Communication / Patient Care / Customer Service
- Inventory Management / Sterilization
- Medical Record Keeping / Data Entry / Documentation
- Patient Insturction / Patient Education
- Knowledge in HIPAA
- Blood Sample Collection
- Infection Control
6. Work Experience
The working history column/section can tell the heart of whether the candidate is qualified for the job (professionally and maybe personality-wise). The same applies to a phlebotomist resume.
Sections / Information must be included in the section:
- Organization / Company name
- Job title
- Duties & Achievement (best to quantify the results!)
- Start and end of employment period (this is the reason why employers recommend workers to say at least 6+ months per job. It’s a method to show perseverance and responsibility.)
💡 Reminder: For those working on an entry-level phlebotomist resume, It’s also recommended to include volunteer, intern, extern, or laboratory experiences in this section.
Although colleges and universities (education background in general) does not define an individual, it does reveal a major component and raise (or degrade) the candidate’s credibility to the employer.
For the phlebotomist resume education section, while basic medical training is a must, additional conferences, members of the certain medical association is definitely a plus too.
Phlebotomist Resume Education Section Sample:
B.S. in Phlebotomy
University of Oregon, AL
Class of 2011
- 2019 National Phlebotomy Association Conference
- Member of National Phlebotomy Association (NPA)
- Trained in ABC Blood Collection Lab
8. Additional Information
Besides basic education information, relevant publication, interview, or other continuing-ed credits can add the candidate’s credibility.
As said, license or membership will be a lump of sugar.
Common Phlebotomy Certification in the US: CPT / RPT / PBT / NCPT.
Of course, one needs the required skills and knowledge to be recognized as a licensed healthcare professional.
No matter if you're a seasoned professional or a fresher, you can create a powerful phlebotomist resume by using CakeResume. Download free phlebotomist resume PDF and get the dream job with ease!
5 tips on how to write a good phlebotomist resume
✍🏻 Tip 1: In lieu of just copying from phlebotomist resume examples, candidates need to keep in mind to tailor their own profile (which is presented across the whole phlebotomist resume) to the phlebotomist job description.
✍🏻 Tip 2: No one likes essay writing (maybe college professors do but not the employers!). Write in brevity and be sure to make the resume concise and relevant. A resume should not extend over 1 page.
✍🏻 Tip 3: Refer to online phlebotomist resume samples. Stand on the shoulders of the giant! Extract the useful parts and abandon the inefficient ones.
✍🏻 Tip 4: In terms of layout design, just remember to establish a consistent formatting style, whether that consists of colors, fonts, tone, and diction.
✍🏻 Tip 5: Most importantly, remember to maintain your personal brand. Establish a consistent, outstanding profile that grabs the employer’s attention.
Some very small details such as hobbies and interests can be a great place to start (imagine one who can go to the gym on a regular basis for 5 years, won’t that also convey his attitude to responsibility and perseverance?).
What phlebotomist resume template is the most successful one?
Resume templates are a great way to get started, especially for the first resume(s). Having a robust phlebotomist resume template will directly inform the candidate sections they need to include and phrases they can adopt to “package” themselves.
📝 Note: While choosing the resume template, do keep in mind to avoid the flamboyant ones that are not used in medical & formal settings.
🔍 What Is the Best Template for a Phlebotomist Resume?
In contrast with the creative field, a phlebotomist resume should be as clean and clear as possible (yes, the old days monotone or even black and white resume works!).
- If one is writing a resume for a senior-level position, the candidate’s accomplishment, credibility (publication, conference speaking), and team-building experience are crucial.
- If one is composing an entry-level phlebotomist resume, relevant skills, intern, and personality should be the highlight.
Phlebotomist resume sample
Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) with 5+ Years’ Experience at Renown Hospital
Experienced CPT with 5+ experience in performing 1500+ successful venipunctures, injections, and immunization. Trained and led the phlebotomist team of 10 people. Maintained 100% documentation and 97% in customer service rating.
YXH Hospital, Alabama
Sep 2014 - Present
- Collected, processed, and stored 800+ specimens. Maintained inventory of the floor.
- Performed 1500+ successful venipunctures and immunization injections.
- Trained and led the phlebotomist team of 10 people.
- Evaluated blood sample quality control compliant with CLIA, OSHA, compliance guidelines. Ensured laboratory procedure, safety, and staff communication.
Phlebotomist Intern / Medical Assistant
ABC Blood Bank, Alabama
May 2013 - Sep 2013
- Volunteered as an intern phlebotomist. Utilized tube, syringe, and venipuncture for blood draw.
- Performed lab procedures for 20+ patients per day. Prepared and ran blood samples in laboratory conditions.
- Maintained 98% inpatient and sampling documentation.
Bachelor of Science, Phlebotomy
The Alabama State University
- Excelled in nursing coursework. GPA 3.7.
- Completed 50+ hours of volunteering at the school health center.
- Interpersonal Communication
- Patient Care
- Customer Service
- Data Entry & Database Management
- Blood Sampling
- Medical Recording
- Inventory Management
- CLIA, OSHA, HIPAA Compliance
- Specimen Preparation & Tracking
- Lab Testing
- Equipment Sanitization & Calibration
- Respondent to Emergency Situations
--- Originally written by Julia Chu ---