- Step 1: Adopt a Standard Layout for Your PHP Developer Resume
- Step 2: Select the Right PHP Developer Resume Format
- Step 3: Provide Basic Personal Details and Contact Information
- Step 4: Create a Well-branded Resume Title
- Step 5: Compile a Professional PHP Developer Profile Summary
- Step 6: Compile strong PHP Developer Skills on Your Resume
- Step 7: Highlight Your Outstanding Work Experience
- Step 8: List Educational Qualifications and Background
- Step 9: Round Out Your PHP Developer Resume with an Extra Section
- Step 10: Craft a Convincing PHP Developer Cover Letter
- PHP Developer Resume Sample
PHP developers work as part of a team in programming applications that are often web-based for clients.
🔑 Key duties of a PHP developer include:
- Writing server-side web application logic and PHP scripts to create or modify software and applications according to a client's needs.
- Developing back-end components.
- Troubleshooting errors and/or issues related to PHP programs.
- Assisting front-end developers in integrating their work with the application.
Since PHP is one of the most popular server-side scripting languages used by many developers around the world, PHP developer is an excellent career with good opportunities to advance in the career.
With that being said, an outstanding PHP developer resume is an essential tool in your job hunt that can get you the dream job. Refer to this article if you’re writing a PHP web developer resume or a Laravel developer resume.
Step 1: Adopt a Standard Layout For Your PHP Developer Resume
📍 Most resumes shouldn’t exceed 2 pages.
Ideally, job applicants, especially new graduates, entry-level candidates, and professionals with 1 to 10 years of experience, should list out all details on only one page.
On the other hand, if you’re writing a senior php developer resume, and you can't cram your achievements on one page, two pages is acceptable.
📍 A basic font is a great choice.
When you create a PHP web developer resume, the font choice does matter - for hiring managers and ATS (Applicant Tracking System) to easily read through.
Opt for basic fonts such as Arial, Calibri, Cambria, Times New Roman, Georgia, or Helvetica. As for font sizes, 10-12pt for normal text and 14-16pt for headings are the standard.
📍 You’ll need to pay attention to line spacing and margin size.
It's recommended for most formal documents including resumes to have 1-1.5” on all sides for margins and 1.0-1.15 for line spacing. However, you can adjust accordingly to balance the white space and content of your PHP developer resume.
📍 A PHP developer resume PDF is better than Word.
Unless there is a specific request in the JD, you should submit a PDF file instead of Doc. The huge plus is that PDF document files display the same on any device and operating system. Besides that, if you create your PHP web developer resume online, e.g. CakeResume, you can only save it as a PDF.
Step 2: Select the Right PHP Developer Resume Format
There are three common types of resume formats that you can adopt, depending on your professional level in the industry.
Chronological Resume Format
List your work experience in timely-reversed order: the most recent job at the top, followed by previous ones.
- The most widely-used resume format.
- Easy-to-read for both humans and ATS.
- Not applicable to an entry-level PHP developer resume or a PHP developer resume with no experience.
Functional Resume Format
Highlights your skills and qualifications for a PHP developer rather than employment history.
- Good for elaborating on specific skill sets.
- Preferred by those who lack work experience but still want to impress employers (e.g., a resume for php developer fresher).
- Skills may not seem credible without related work experience.
- PHP developer resumes with functional format may become a garbled mess when passing through the ATS.
Combinational Resume Format
Highlight essential skills for a PHP developer while also fully presenting your work track.
- A good choice for mid-level or senior candidates.
- Need to make sure it's ATS-compliant and doesn't exceed 2 pages.
Step 3: Provide Basic Personal Details and Contact Information
Check the list below for what to and not-to-include in the resume profile section.
|- Full Name|
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- LinkedIn URL
- Personal Website
|- Date of Birth|
- ID / SSN
- Sexual Orientation
- Marital Status
- Expected/Current salary
Step 4: Create a Well-branded Resume Title
A resume title, also known as a resume headline, is a short sentence showing your skills and professional level. It’s crucial to write an intriguing statement to make a first impression on employers and motivate them to read on your PHP developer resume.
Example of a PHP developer resume with 5-year experience:
Example of a resume for PHP developer fresher:
Fresh New York University graduate with a W3Schools PHP Certificate.
Example of a CodeIgniter developer resume:
Professional CodeIgniter Developer with demonstrated success in providing PHP development for startups.
CakeResume helps PHP developers build professional resumes! Start from choosing a suitable resume template & layout, you can learn from our step-by-step guide to make a perfect PHP developer resume for free.
Step 5: Compile a Professional PHP Developer Profile Summary
Think of the PHP developer profile summary (or resume summary) as a brief self-introduction to employers, meaning that you need to include the following information:
- Professional level with years of experience
- Key PHP web developer skills
- Outstanding accomplishments in the field
The purpose is to catch the employer's attention from the very beginning and showcase a snapshot of your PHP web developer resume.
Keep in mind that resume summary and objective are not the same. When writing a career objective for a PHP developer, you state your career goals and/or the contribution you will bring to the employer.
Examples of a killer PHP developer profile summary:
- Senior PHP Developer with 10+ years of experience designing custom portals and websites integrated with SugarCRM on-demand and on-premise. Highly recognized for training client developers in best practices for customizing Magento 7 based on new frameworks.
Step 6: Compile Strong PHP Developer Skills On Your Resume
Below are key skills for PHP developer resumes:
- Communication Skills
- Organization Skills
- Research and Analytical Skills
- Remain Calm and Professional Under
- MySQL - Table Design, Indexes
- Database Interactions
- PHP Framework
- Drupal 7
- Linux Terminal
- Bug Troubleshooting
Step 7: Highlight Outstanding Work Experience
You might want to prove yourself further to hiring managers through what you have done and achieved in the former jobs. This is when the work experience section tells the story!
How to write a standard section of work experience and accomplishments in your PHP web developer resume:
- Job title
- Company name with location
- Dates of starting and quitting the job
- Bullet points of key responsibilities, outstanding achievements, and awards if any
Example of a PHP developer work experience for resume:
PHP Laravel Developer
Dec 2016 - Present
- Designed interface mockups and database ERD for up to 30 big clients.
- Deployed and maintained systems in MSSQL environments while implementing analytical document reporting systems.
- Developed SOAP and REST web services for both clients and third-party providers.
Step 8: List Educational Qualifications
A bachelor's degree in computer programming, development or sciences is often required for PHP developer jobs. Regardless of the position you apply to, it’s important to showcase your educational background in the resume.
The education section can be adjusted accordingly to best describe your qualifications. For instance, if you're crafting a resume for a PHP developer fresher, it’s best to list your educational background at the top of the page, whereas for experienced candidates, placing the education section after work experience makes more sense.
Education example of a laravel developer resume:
Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science - Software Development
Step 9: Round Out Your PHP Developer Resume with an Extra Section
An extra section can be game changing for job hunting.
Highlight additional information to give your resume a boost, for example:
- Certifications (e.g., Zend Certified PHP Engineer, W3Schools PHP Certification , PHP Developer Certification by LinkedIn)
- Personal websites/projects
Step 10: Craft a Convincing PHP Developer Cover Letter
The fact is that hiring managers always expect to read a cover letter, even though it’s optional. A strong PHP developer cover letter can spark their interest, let them get to know you better, and make them read on your resume.
🔑 5 crucial parts you need to include in the PHP developer cover letter:
- Contact details
- Intention and motivation to apply
🔎 Check out: Dos & Don’ts of Writing a Cover Letter to effectively impress the hiring manager!
Writing a PHP web developer resume seems difficult at first, especially for new college graduates. But don’t panic - you can refer to many great PHP developer resume examples online and quickly learn how to write a good one. The rule of thumb is going over the PHP developer job description and inserting relevant keywords.
Moreover, with the help of online resume builders like CakeResume, you can easily create your own resume in just 10 minutes!
PHP Developer Resume Sample
PHP Developer highly recognized for the cohesiveness, functionality and appearance of websites
Attentive and goal-driven professional with 5 years of experience in developing websites using PHP and implementing sophisticated user interfaces. Proficient in building applications to agreed-upon specifications within the required timeframe and budget and conducting peer-reviews of PHP application code to ensure that all code complies with team standards.
Full Stack PHP Developer
Giant Tech, UT
Mar 2019 - Apr 2021
- Maintained existing codebase, developed new tools and applications, and added new features into the system design of 20+ companies.
- Identified and measured opportunities for process improvement and made timely suggestions for construction changes.
- Planned and executed development of new products for carbonhouse clients.
Gillsburg Inc., TX
Dec 2016 - Feb 2019
- Implemented sophisticated user interfaces with the application of innovative technologies and techniques in the industry.
- Conducted peer-reviews of PHP application code to make sure that all code complies with team and organization standards.
- Provided technical support including database and server management with minimum downtime of 5%.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
Texas A&M, TX
Class of 2013
|Hard skills||Soft skills|
|MySQL - Table Design, Indexes
Attention to Detail
Coursera PHP Certification - 2018
--- Originally written by May Luong ---