As a pharmacy assistant, you work either as part of a pharmacy team under the direction of a registered pharmacist or in a healthcare team in hospitals or community pharmacies.
Below some job description samples for a pharmacy assistant resume:
- Take in, dispense, and hand out prescriptions
- Pre-pack, assemble, and label medicines
- Process billing and insurance claims
- Deliver medicines to other hospitals or health centers
- Answer customers’ questions in person or via phone calls
- Refer problems or queries to the pharmacist
Note that a pharmacy assistant and a pharmacy technician are different in the way they do tasks and complete training programs.
A pharmacy technician has a few added responsibilities and powers, such as "signing authority" on new and refilled prescriptions. Therefore it requires a longer training program for pharmacy technicians to gain their qualifications.
If you would like to pursue your career as a pharmacy assistant, make sure to read the following writing guide and tips to build an outstanding pharmacy assistant resume.
5 tips for a perfect pharmacy assistant resume
Tip 1: Create an ATS-compliant pharmacy assistant resume.
ATS (Applicant Tracking System) is a tool used for screening applications and forwarding only the qualified ones to the recruiter.
As most companies have been switching to ATS for their hiring process instead of manual screening procedures, make sure your pharmacy assistant resume adheres to ATS standards.
Here are several tricks to beat the bot ✨
- Simplicity is the key! Stick to text and avoid using graphs, symbols, or tables.
- Cover conventional resume headings: Personal Statement, Work Experience, Education, Skills, etc.
- Insert keywords from the pharmacy assistant job description.
- No typos.
Tip 2: Learn from online pharmacy assistant resume examples.
The Internet has a wide range of information and knowledge for job hunters. With great pharmacy assistant resume templates and examples, you can learn about how to develop the content and structure of a pharmacy assistant resume for all professional levels effectively.
Tip 3: Tailor your pharmacy assistant resume for the specific position.
As mentioned earlier, a pharmacy assistant can work in a retail pharmacy, community pharmacy, hospital, or medical center. Hence, try to customize your resume for the pharmacy job you are aiming for.
The key tip is incorporating the right keywords from the job description, which will also help optimize your pharmacy assistant resume for ATS.
💡 Tips: The key tip is incorporating the right keywords from the job description, which will also help optimize your pharmacy assistant resume for ATS.
Tip 4: Add quantifiable accomplishments.
When crafting your pharmacy assistant resume, keep in mind that the hiring manager expects to see your past achievements and the value you can bring to the organization in the future.
Therefore, a resume with measurable achievements from previous jobs will definitely convince and impress them better!
For example, "processed high prescriptions with 100% accuracy” will have a more significant impact than "dispensed and handed out prescriptions.”
Tip 5: Make sure the resume is error-free.
One of the most common mistakes for pharmacy assistant resumes is the job applicant submits a resume littered with errors. A professional resume is designed to create a favorable first impression, which it cannot do with poor grammar or spelling mistakes.
Hence, proofread your pharmacy assistant resume carefully before submitting it to the employer.
Professional pharmacy assistant resume summary
The pharmacy assistant resume summary is believed to be either a waste of space or a game-changer, depending on how you compile it. Technically, it is where you highlight upfront the most important information about you regarding professional experience and skills. The purpose is to let employers quickly get a sense of your qualifications and the value you could offer.
This section should be a brief paragraph within four sentences and is also known as a “Personal Statement" or “Professional Summary.”
Examples of a well-written resume summary for a pharmacy assistant:
Professional pharmacy assistant resume:
Pharmacy Assistant working in Walgreens for 5 years. Proven track record for filling and labeling prescriptions, providing quality customer service, and performing maintenance on filler. Patient, passionate, and able to develop positive relationships with clients, pharmacy technicians, and healthcare providers.
Enthusiastic Pharmacy Assistant with Certificate IV in Community Pharmacy (SIR40116). Capable of supporting pharmacists with multiple tasks and providing excellent service to clients. Forward-thinking team player and great communicator.
Further reading: How to write a summary for a resume with no experience
Strong objective for a pharmacy assistant resume
Though it's optional, it’s recommended to draft an objective statement to beef up your resume summary, especially for recent graduates or job seekers targeting a job at a specific company. The hiring manager, convinced by your objective statement, will be motivated to dive into your pharmacy assistant resume.
Examples of a job-winning objective for pharmacy assistant resumes:
- Eager to contribute to CVS - Victoria Branch through hard work, attention to detail, and excellent organizational skills.
- Looking to obtain the Pharmacy Assistant position to apply my solid background in the medical field and skills in Medical Terminology, HIPPA, and OSHA.
- Seeking a Pharmacy Assistant position at Med First - Guangfu Store Maaco to leverage 5 years of experience in Medicaid and Medicare procedures.
Key skills for a pharmacy assistant resume?
The skills section gives hiring managers a way to skim through your resume to see if you meet the job requirements. Hence, make sure all skills you list in your pharmacy assistant resume are relevant to the opening role.
In particular, it's very important to highlight technical skills which require training and experience to master, and can be defined, evaluated, and measured.
Learn about Dos & Don'ts of writing a professional resume skills section to impress the hiring manager better!
CakeResume helps pharmacist build professional resumes! Start from choosing a suitable resume template & layout, you can learn from our step-by-step guide to make a perfect pharmacy assistant resume for free.
Let's put what you've learned from the article into practice and start making an attractive pharmacy assistant resume with us! It's totally free to download resume PDF or share it online. → Try It Out
Advice for pharmacy assistant resumes with no experience
Advice 1: Pick the right pharmacy assistant resume format.
The four most common resume formats are chronological, functional, combinational, and targeted. When crafting a pharmacy assistant resume with no experience, you may consider adopting the functional format.
Functional (skill-based) resume format:
- Why? This format type emphasizes your skills and educational background.
- How? Put the skills and education section ahead of work experience if you have little or no relevant experience.
If you have 1-2 work experiences, a combinational format might work for you as well by presenting both your skills and work experience. You can adjust the length of each section to better promote your strengths.
Advice 2: Draft a strong career objective.
If you're a fresh graduate looking for the first job, show the employer that you're career-oriented by stating your career goals and tailor the objective statement to the job opening. It’s also a great idea to include the exact name of the role and the company you’re applying for in your pharmacy assistant resume objective.
“College graduate with a major in Medication Pharmacology Prescription, looking to start a career in CVS to improve the skill set and gain in-depth medical expertise.”
Advice 3: Highlight your educational background.
As a no-experience job hunter, this is likely one of the key sections in your pharmacy assistant resume. There are many ways to highlight your education, such as listing graduation honors and describing your relevant coursework, for example:
- Support the supply of pharmacy medicines
- Assist customers with prescriptions
- Assist in dispensing prescriptions
- Maintain dispensary stocks
- Administer dispensary computer systems and claims
Advice 4: Showcase your certifications/licenses.
With a certificate in Pharmaceutical Medicine 2021, you can set yourself up for success against other candidates, even those with more experience than you.
Top Certificates in Pharmaceutical Medicine:
- Graduate Certificate in Pharmacy Informatics
- Pharmacy Certificate
- Certificate in Clinical Trials: Medical Device and Drug Development
- Clinical Skills Certificate for International Pharmacy
- Medication Safety Certificate
Advice 5: Write a sincere cover letter.
Sending a cover letter for a pharmacy assistant with no experience along with a resume can get you extra points! A pharmacy assistant cover letter that hits the right tone can impress the hiring manager and land you the interview.
Make sure to include the following information:
- Brief introduction about yourself
- Educational background
- Key pharmacy skills
- Personal traits that benefit you at work
- Motivation to apply for the job opening
- Sincere and grateful closing
Pharmacy Assistant Resume Sample
Pharmacy Assistant with 3+ years of retail pharmacy experience.
Email: [email protected]
Address: Dallas, TX
Dedicated and diligent Pharmacy Assistant with comprehensive knowledge on Blister Pack/Med Pack. Adept at supporting pharmacists with multiple tasks, dealing with Drug Plan Insurance Company, and providing excellent customer service to patients. Great communicator and quick learner in fast-paced environments.
UT Southwestern Specialty Retail Pharmacy, Dallas
2/2020 - Present
- Assist the Director of Pharmacy in supervising 8 new members of the pharmacy team through coaching and feedback.
- Communicate with customers, hand out proper medicines, maintain stocks, and manage inventory management.
- Perform various administrative and clerical tasks, including maintaining documents and records, QI monitoring, and drug charges,
Methodist Community Pharmacy, Dallas
10/2017 - 12/2019
- Assisted the branch store manager in developing and maintaining the filing system with 100% accuracy.
- Maintained patient files and sorted generated prescription paperwork/labels, files clinical paperwork, and maintained charts.
- Worked with Bankhead Insurance Agency to develop and deliver proper pharmacy benefits and plans to clients and plan holders.
- Kroll Pharmacy Software
- Health Watch Pharmacy System
- Data entry
- Healthcare knowledge
- Interpersonal skills
- Organization skills
- Time management
- University of Dallas
B.S. in Nursing
2013 - 2017
--- Originally written by May Luong ---