In this article, we'll cover:
First impressions matter, which is why a well-phrased resume headline is of grave importance as it is the first thing the recruiter would look at. Also known as resume titles or CV headlines, resume headlines summarise you in one brief line. Good resume headlines get you attention from the recruiter.
But what is a good headline for the resume? In short, a good resume title helps you stand out.
Of course, there are various factors you need to take into consideration when you write your resume headline. In this article, we've provided a detail guid to writing a professional resume title.
What is a resume headline?
A resume headline is the one brief line that summarizes your entire resume. It is also referred to as a profile title or a CV headline. You can’t have a winning resume without a winning headline. Hence, it is important to give as much thought to the title for your resume as you give the body of your resume.
Resume headlines are typically placed at the very top of resumes, right under the name. Hence, one of the first things the recruiter would look at a resume is undoubtedly the resume headline. It tells your story and shows your value. Anyone who as much as glances at your resume title should get an immediate idea of who you are and how you can add value to the company.
Generally speaking, the recruiter a few seconds on a resume and if the resume title catch their attention, they would then continue to read the resume. Therefore, headlines for resume should be crafted to catch people's eye immediately. Practically, resume headlines go a long way to determine who, in a large sea of job applicants, gets more chances.
How to write a resume headline?
Whether you are a fresher or an experienced professional, a good resume title can be beneficial. However, to write a killer headline for your resume is not an easy task. But don't you worry. Follow the steps below and you can create a professional resume title that wins over the recruiter.
Step 1. Brainstorm your achievements and strengths.
Make a list of your achievements and strengths that are relevant to the job you're applying for. The idea is to sell yourself as high as possible, to make sure you won’t be shoved aside easily.
Step 2. Use strong, catchy words and phrases.
You want to capture attention and keep recruiters’ eyes glued to your resume. Using strong, catchy phrases gives spice to your resume headline and makes it unique.
Regular, generic words do little to nothing to make you stand out. Words like "hardworking", "goal-getter", phrases like "good resource personnel", "honest sales representative", and etc., are very common and overused words and phrases which easily define anyone and do nothing to give you an edge.
Going for catchier and stronger terms gives your resume a distinct and separate definition because the words are peculiar to you and define you in a less-generic way.
Examples of catchier and stronger resume titles:
- Compassionate Nurse
- Award-winning Test Engineer
- Bilingual Customer Service Representative
Step 3. Place it at the top of your resume.
After crafting out your winning resume headline, you should place it at the most conspicuous part of your resume, which is at the top, right under your name and contact information. It introduces your entire resume. For that reason, it should be at a position where it will be the first thing to be noticed amongst throngs of the resumes from other job seekers.
10 tips for writing a professional resume title
These are additional, quick tips that will further ensure your resume title comes out perfect and seizes the day when you use them.
1. Use title case.
It is suggested to write your resume title with each word capitalized, to make it stand out all the more and show professionalism.
2. Write several.
Write down a few resume titles that are compelling and highly relevant to the position, and pick the one that shows your "selling point"’ the most. It takes time, but it would be worth it eventually.
3. Insert keywords.
There are specific words (e.g. skills, experiences, personal traits, and etc.) most looked out for by recruiters. Adopting them can help boost the resume title which gives candidates a much more advantageous edge.
4. Place it at the top.
A resume headline should be glaring, not hidden. Place it under or beside your name, and right above the section of personal information in resume. However, if the resume format you adopt can't best highlight the resume headline in the above scenario, you can opt to place your resume title at the top of the resume summary or career objective section.
5. Avoid writing objectives.
Since career objectives are usually written in a job seeker's perspective, narrating how a candidate wish the potential employer can benefit his/her career, which is something a recruiter can care less about. Besides, objectives can be vague and generic sometimes.
6. Add years of experience.
This is important if you are experienced in the field you are applying for. Employers usually search for people with more capacity, and experience can serve as a solid proof. Adding the length of years you have been working in the relevant industry/field can certainly give you an edge.
7. Be concise and cut cliché.
Ideally, a good headline for resume should be a "one-liner". Avoid redundant words or phrases and make it straight to the point. Cliché lines indicate that the candidate is either inattentive or unqualified. Usually resumes with generic headlines would get unnoticed among other job applicants' and skipped over.
8. Include relevant license or certification.
If a specific license or certification is mentioned in the job requirement, and you by chance own it, make sure that you put it to good use while crafting your resume headline.
9. Highlight accomplishments using quantifiable data.
Numbers can easily catch hiring managers' attention and at the same time, demonstrate the potential value you can bring to the organization. The accomplishments you've achieved in school or at work is something specific to you, which can profoundly set you apart.
10. Customize it for different companies & job positions.
Since every company has different core value and organizational culture, it is highly suggested to customize your resume title for each job you apply for, even the job title is the same. An tailor-made resume headline demonstrates enthusiasm and attentiveness, indicating that the candidate is paying close attention.
How to write a resume headline in Naukri?
The character limit of the Resume Headline section in Naukri is 250 characters, which can approximately accommodate 3 - 5 sentences. However, do remember the essence of a professional resume headline - concise and unique. Keep it an one-line phrase as previously instructed. If you have abundant of achievement and experience to showcase, choose the one that can instantly differentiate you from other candidates, and save the others for the Profile Summary section.
How to write professional resume headlines in Naukri for Freshers?
Writing a resume headline often seem discouraging to fresh graduates. This comes from the feeling of inadequacy when comparisons are made to people with many years of experiences.
As a fresher, your resume headline should grab the recruiters' attention in a split second. Instead of including years of experience, write out things that make you unique as an individual and a candidate, such as your greatest strengths or specific personal traits. Outline the skills required for the job position/industry/field you are applying for. As long as you have acquired the expertise needed, you would be viewed as a professional.
How to write resume headline in Naukri for Experienced job seekers?
Even with a lot of experience, relevance can be easily overlooked when your resume headline is not properly structured. Apart from showing how long you have been working in that capacity, you also need to show how well you have done within those years.
In the midst of several achievements, identify and adopt the best ones in your resume headline. Show statistics or quantifiable data to prove your statements and the value you added to your previous companies. Do note that it is suggested to include the goals you reached in your most recent position.
20+ Resume Headline Examples
Resume headline example for Freshers
- Multilingual Sales Marketer with a Focus on Digital Marketing
Resume headline example for Entry-level job seekers
- Empathic Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) in Florida with a Strong Emphasis on Mental Health
Resume headline samples for Experienced job seekers
- Resourceful Manager Who Has Won 15 Awards with 25 Years of Experience
- Ambitious Sales Marketer Who Exceeded Sales Targets by 40%
Resume headline examples for Customer Service
- Patient Customer Service Specialist with 900 Fully Satisfied Customer Feedbacks in One Year
- Bilingual Customer Service Representative with 15 Years of Experience
Resume headline samples for Software Developers
Resume headline for software engineer
- Skillful Software Engineer Especially Knowledgeable in Python and C++
Resume headline for fresher software engineer
- Detail-Oriented Software Engineer with UX Design Skills
Resume headline for experienced software developer
- Active Open Source Contributor & Senior Software Developer with 18 Years of Relevant Experience
Resume headline samples for Java Developers
Resume headline for fresher Java developer
- Junior Java Developer with Profound Knowledge in Java, MySQL, MongoDB, and Heroku
Resume headline for experienced Java developer
- Seasoned Java Developer with 10 years of experience in building reliable, scalable, and maintainable software applications
Resume headline for BCom (Bachelor Of Commerce) Freshers
- Harvard Certified Bachelor of Commerce Graduate with Outstanding Internship Performance
Resume headline for Software Testers
Resume headline for experienced software tester
- Senior Software Tester with 25 Years of Industry Experience
Resume headline for automation test engineer
- Goal-Oriented Automation Test Engineer with 7 Years’ Experience of Providing Satisfactory Service
Resume title examples for Mechanical Engineers
Resume headline for fresher mechanical engineers
- Highly-Motivated Graduating Mechanical Engineer with Excellent Results Accomplished in Internships
Resume headline for mechanical design engineers
- Microsoft Certified Mechanical Design Engineer with 12 Years of Experience
Resume headline for mechanical engineer (experienced)
- Professional Mechanical Engineer with 30 Years of Field Experience
Resume title examples for Electrical Engineers
Resume headline for electrical engineer
- Seasoned Electrical Engineer with 15+ Years of Relevant Experiences
Resume headline for fresher electronics engineers
- Published Research Assistant and Graduating Electronics Engineering Student
Resume headline for experienced electrical engineers
- Expert Electrical Engineer with 24 Years of Experience
Resume headline example for HR
- Result-Driven HR Executive Who Exceeded Recruitment Conversion Rate by 30%
Resume headline for MBA Freshers
- Certified MBA Graduate with Proven Skills in Human Relations and Communication
CV headline examples for Teachers
Resume headline for teachers
- Passionate Teacher with Special Teaching Techniques for Kids Between 5 - 9 Years
Resume headline for primary teachers
- Widely Experienced Teacher with Distinguished Skills in Juvenile Management
Resume headline example for Accountants
- Internationally Recognized Certified Accountant with 35 Years of Experience
Resume headline sample for Civil Engineers
- Oxford Certified Civil Engineer with Additional Skills in Management
Resume headline for Business Analysts
- Result-Oriented Business Analyst with 30 Years of Constant Award-Winning Record
CV headline for MCA (Master of Computer Applications) Freshers
- Resilient MCA Degree Holder with Proven Skills Required in the Field of Information Technology
Resume headline for Data Scientists / Analysts
- Detail-Oriented Data Analyst with 20 Years of Field Experience
Resume headline for Digital Marketing
- Skilled Digital Marketer with Additional Specialization in SEO
Resume headline for Android Developers
- Globally Acclaimed Android Developer with 16 Years of Experience in Samsung Group
Resume headline for Network Engineers
- Skilled Network Engineer with Stunning Records in Creating and Configuring 1000+ VPNs for Corporate Use